Come in and learn about the lord and his love
In April 1932, the church was organized at the home of the late Rev. E. B. Morris. All persons present resolved solemnly to constitute themselves an Independent Church, adopting a Church Covenant and Articles of Faith. The name Shiloh was accepted from Mrs. Bessie Brodie.
In the beginning, worship services were held at the Ben Theater (now St. Luke Church), 4th and Central Avenue every Sunday. Having a desire for weekly service, the group rented the old Metropolitan Church building at 9th and Tilghman Streets and move in on Easter Sunday morning 1933. A Council of recognition was held, followed by the sermon by Rev. C. H. Gordon, Pastor at Temple Baptist Church. The Hand of Fellowship was extended and Shiloh became a Missionary Baptist Church.
In March 10, 1943, a down payment was made on the lot at 8th and Central Avenue and balance paid in October that same year. In March 1947, a fire to warm the church filled the building with smoke. After inspection, the church was immediately condemned and we found ourselves with no place to worship. However, we rallied together and had ground breaking Ceremonies at 8th and Central Avenue and was able to proceed with the building of our basement. While this was being done, our worship service was held at the Ruth L. Bennett Homes, 2nd and Reaney Streets, for one (1) year.
One April 11, 1948, the members marched from 9th and Tilgham Streets to 8th and Central, and we worshipped in the basement for five (5) years.
In March 1954, the church was completed and furnished. The opening service was held on the first Sunday in April 1954. The church mortgage was paid off in April 1961.
On August 17, 1970, the congregation called Rev. Merland McKnight as Pastor. During his Pastorate, the Redevelopment Authority notified Shiloh that the area was being revamped and our present structure was not up to present day standards. After much prayer and deliberation, the spirit moved us to “Venture in Faith” and build another House of Prayer. We wholeheartedly accepted God’s plan for giving and Shiloh became a Tithing Church.
In November 1975, the Building of Our Future was completed and furnished fully equipped and dedicated to God as “A Soul Saving Station”. We extend our grateful appreciation to Trustee William E. Northern for having served us successfully as Chairman of the Building Committee for both Churches and the Parsonage. Shiloh has the distinction of being the only Church in this City that built a Parsonage and Two Churches from the ground up.Read More >>>
Shiloh Development Academy
Shiloh Development Academy, Inc. was established in December, 1997 by the Board of Directors of the Shiloh Baptist Church. At the time of establishment, Deacon Arlington Northern was named President of the Academy; Deacon Otis Johnson Vice President; Trustee William Warren Treasurer; Deacon Lonnie Richardson Financial Secretary; Deacon Castell Abner, Jr. Administrator, and Trustee Ralph Brown Vice President of Marketing.
In September of 1998, A & A Management Consultants P.S.C., Inc. was hired to serve as consultants to get the school up and running by September, 1999. On September 4, 1999, The Shiloh Development Academy opened its doors to the public. The first student to officially walk through the Academy doors was Michael Johnson. Enrollment began this school year with seven students.
In March of 1999, the Academy became Incorporated. Click this link for more details Read More >>>